Patrolling The Trail
When out patrolling an off-road bike trail the following is a list of items you should carry.
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Bandages (Triangle recommended for shoulder harness)
- Medical scissors
- Adhesive Bandages with a variety of sizes
- SAM or similar splint
- Medical Tape
- Sterile Gloves
- Antibiotic Cream
- Breather Mask
- Ibuprphen or
other non-aspirin pain reliever
- Basic toolkit
- Tire Levers
- Spare Tubes (One 26 x 2.1 and One 27.5 x 2.1 will cover almost all wheel sizes including 29er and plus sizes)
- Red Bike Patrol Jersey
- Bike Plate
- Helmet is required
- Well maintained mountain bike
Duties while out on patrol. This can be mountain bikers or other trail users if on a multi-use trail. Always remember, we are not enforcing rules, just letting people know the guidelines of the trail system. If you ever need enforcement or emergency help, call 911. Always make sure you are safe before you assist (scene safe). Never patrol without a way to communicate to the outside world. Always know where you are and know the trail.
- Assist other trail users who need directions.
- Assist with any medical emergencies (call 911 if severe).
- Educate users about the trail.
- Inform users of the trail guidelines (Don’t ride when wet and staying on the trail are the two most common).
- Be friendly and talk to as many people as you can.
- Be courteous on rides, at a casual (non-race) pace.